Thursday, July 31, 2014

Week 4

Assignment 1

Goodreads. I was already a member of Goodreads before this assignment so I had most of it already finished. At this time I only have 65 books in my list but I don't list everything I read. I have a tendency to use Goodreads in spurts, listing the books I read for a while then I forget about it for a few months, then I come back. The recommendations I get from Goodreads are usually in the same genres as I have something of a narrow reading focus (Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Classics, Teen, or Childrens). I've tried to read out of my comfort zone but it never seems to go well. Just for fun I did make a new bookshelf and I added a few coworkers to my friends list.

I suggested a book, Feed by  M.T. Anderson, to one of my coworkers that liked Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. Both books are set in a dystopian future where the government uses technology to control or spy on the public. In Little Brother they use modern tech, but in Feed it is actually a chip implanted in the brain. Also, the main characters in the books are a group of young teens who go through tough times together.

I am a fan of Goodreads. It has given me many good recommendations for books and I like seeing what my friends are reading. I didn't really use the bookshelves until this assignment. Now I have multiple bookshelves and titles are getting organized. I do like Goodreads, I just need to remember to use it more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment